Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It is Well with My Soul


Today I learned (and taught my English class) about how the song "It is Well with my Soul" was written by Horatio Spafford, a man who had just lost 4 of his daughters in a shipwreck. This same man had, within the last 2 previous years also lost a son to scarlet fever and also had his many real estate investments destroyed in the great Chicago fire. His wife, who had been traveling with the daughters, was the only family member that survived the shipwreck.

When the survivors of the wreck had
been rescued, Mrs. Spafford's first reaction was one of complete despair. Then she heard a voice speak to her, "You were spared for a purpose." And she immediately recalled the words of a friend, "It's easy to be grateful and good when you have so much, but take care that you are not a fair-weather friend to God."


Mr. Spafford was originally supposed to be on that ship also, but was held back due to business and had sent them on ahead. While on the ship heading back to New York from England to be with his wife, shortly after crossing the area where the ship had sank, he penned the words to this beautiful song:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


"Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well."
~2 Kings 4:26

I want to have this attitude, no matter what the circumstances of life. When asked, "Is it well?" I want my reply to always be a resounding "Yes, it is well."

(I highly recommend listening to Selah's version of this song. It's probably available on Youtube; I just don't have access to Youtube here at the Mansion to post it. *sigh* :oP)

No comments:

Post a Comment