Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Facing Your Giants"...Why David?


So, I'm doing the unthinkable...I'm blogging twice on the same day! And it's not even because I have a bunch of free time on my hands! Just figured I'd shared some negative comments regarding a book I was reading, so thought I would share some positive ones on another one I am reading: "Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado. It's really good thus far and I don't really have much to actually "say" about it, but rather have some parts that have stood out to me that I'd like to share. (For background, the book is about facing giants in life and is paralleled with the story of David defeating Goliath.)

Giants. We must face them. Yet we need not face them alone. Focus first, and most, on God. The times David did, giants fell. The days he didn't, David did.


...And that's where we find David, in the pasture with the flock. Scripture dedicates sixty-six chapters to his story, more than anyone else in the Bible outside of Jesus. The New Testament mentions his name fifty-nine times. He will establish and inhabit the world's most famous city, Jerusalem. The Son of God will be called the Son of David. The greatest of psalms will flow from his pen. We'll call him king, warrior, minstrel, and giant-killer. But today he's not even included in the family meeting; he's just a forgotten, uncredentialed kid, performing a menial task in a map-dot town.

What caused God to pick him? We want to know. We really want to know.

.....God saw what no one else saw: a God-seeking heart. David, for all his foibles, sought God like a lark seeks sunshine. He took after God's heart, because he stayed after God's heart. In the end, that's all God wanted or needed...wants or needs. Others measure your waist size or wallet. Not God. He examines hearts. When He finds one set on Him, He calls it and claims it.

No comments:

Post a Comment