Sunday, October 29, 2017

The Ultimate Roadmap


"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." ~2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)



A few years ago I was staying in central London for a couple of days with friends, while on my way back to the states from Norway. My friends had to work during the day, so I was on my own when it came to finding my way around, other than them having pointed out a few important nearby landmarks. The first day I went out I didn't really care where I went or what I did. I had been there before, was still extremely exhausted from the activities from the prior week, and just really didn't care what I ended up doing. But, I reasoned, "Girl, you're in LONDON. You gotta at least leave the apartment!"

So, I did. I had no map, quickly got lost, and didn't care at all...that is I didn't care until it was time to go "home". Then, eventually, I finally gave in and bought a map, in a rather questionable looking area, in the smallest shop I've ever seen. I was desperate. 

Within a matter of minutes, I was back on the right course, and had arrived back at my destination in very little time. Road maps are wonderful things!

Now, of course, most of us use "road maps" in the form of GPSes on our dashboards or on our phones. I am so GPS dependent it's a little scary. I've traveled across the U.S. by myself totally at the mercy of that little voice coming from that electronic box to get me to where I need to go.

To most people it's common sense: Have a GPS or map? Then use it! If you're going on a trip you don't purposely leave it at home. No, you bring it with you, and if you realize you forgot it, you feel helpless very quickly. 

Well, there is another "road map" that's much more important than any GPS. It's one most people are familiar with.  A lot have it.  Some have more than one. Yet even those who have it may neglect to open it and allow it to navigate their lives each and everyday. The roadmap I am referring to is the Bible. 

This map will not guide you to Houston, or Boston, or San Diego; it will guide you to somewhere much better. It will guide you to Heaven. It will explain to you the only way to get there and the safest, most enjoyable way to complete the trip. Are you taking the time to use your "road map"? I don't recommend waiting until you're overwhelmed and feeling lost to pick it up; but if you are already feeling that way, by all means, do pick it up! The more you read it and let it direct you, the closer you will be to being back on the course God has destined and desires for you. 

Not only will this roadmap get you to Heaven, it will also teach you how to experience more peace while on this earth. Need advice on finances? It's in there.  Advice on any kind of relationship? It's in there also. Whatever the life question, the answer is in there somewhere. But, to truly understand it, it definitely helps to know the author personally. So, dust off that roadmap, or go get one if you don't have one yet, pray (talk to the Author), then open it up and let Him talk to you.

In the words of an old song by Don Reno:
I'm using my Bible for a roadmap; The Ten Commandments they tell me what to do. The twelve disciples are my road signs; And Jesus will take me safely through.

No comments:

Post a Comment