Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What about the Potter?

So, it's past 1:00 and I am wide awake...the tragic result of drinking coffee too late. Anyway, earlier today..I mean yesterday, I was taking some time to read back through my prayer journal and came across this entry from early May. I  believe at that time that I was reading from Numbers (thus the reason for the references to Israel's relationship with God). Just felt this might be something worth sharing....Hopefully it will at least speak to someone...

"But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth." ~Psalm 86:15


"I've been thinking about how God's relationship with Israel, as with us, is so much like that of a parent.  In one instance Israel will do something wrong and God will discipline them, yet, in the next instance, He is telling those in opposition to Israel to basically "treat them right or die." The wilderness was forty years of discipline for Israel, yet, at the same time, God was keeping outsiders from hurting them.  His Word is sure and He won't let anything happen to prevent it from coming to pass. Like a good parent, He always keeps His word, always protects, and always does what's best, whether painful or not, to make sure His child becomes the best He can be.

Yesterday, while having a potter walk my friends and I through the step by step process of the art of old fashioned pottery making, I found myself thinking, "Wow, that's ALOT of effort and inconvenience just to make that cup, bowl, etc...but then I realized, that's exactly the way God is with us!  Often I read poems and such about "being on the potter's wheel", written about yielding to the Potter's hand and they are always beautiful and well said...but, what about the Potter?!! Oh the patience, Oh the love!!!...Thankful for a God that never gives up on me. He protects me. He provides for me. And, above all else He's STILL working on me."

No comments:

Post a Comment